Monday, May 18, 2009

1st weekend in UK (part 2)

After I finally managed to catch the train, I felt relaxed and thought lets listen to some music. Was a long journey anyway. The train was so empty that I couldn't see anyone else in that coach. I happily enjoyed the music but little did I know that this could land me in trouble.
There was an announcement which I completely ignored. It said that all passengers who wanted to get down at Stonehouse should go to coach no 1. The Stonehouse train station had a very small platform apparently and if you don't go to coach 1 you would have to jump off the train at an unknown forest like place which is far from the platform or rather the station itself. It might seem like an exaggeration but man you gotta see it to believe it. It is smaller than 'Shivaji Nagar' of Pune yaar..
The arrival time was 10:15 pm and hence it wasn't a cool thing to do especially when u r alone. But I had no idea of such an announcement and since there were no co-passengers in that coach I had absolutely no clue. Now one more concern I had was that whether my colleagues would turn up at the station to receive me. Although I had the map I wanted to avoid anymore adventures at least for that day.
Stonehouse is one scary place. I din know that till I got there. Its a small village and by 7 pm things come to a standstill and there are no people on the road. Under these circumstances, I would not have found a taxi or even mortals on the road to ask for directions. Nevertheless I had already landed there and things could not be undone now. I had to face it...
So this was just the background of the story, now lets see what actually happened.
I coolly got down on the platform and found my colleagues waiting for me. They were worried that if I missed the announcement I would be been screwed. Coincidently or rather by God's grace, I got a reservation in coach 1 itself. Most of my friends who landed a little earlier the same day had to walk from coach 5 to 1 and hence I guess I was very lucky.
Now bout the spooky walk to the hotel. It was so quiet that even the sound of footsteps seemed to echo and there wasn't a single soul on the road. My friends happily laughed and exchanged words since they were meeting after a while. They were then told to keep the volume low by one of the friends coz in UK people give police complaints like as though there were a competition for who gives the most. They narrated an incident where the neighbors had complained against them coz they could hear sound of footsteps on the stairs of their house at 10:00 pm. Isn't that ridiculous?
Well, it seemed to have a happy ending at last. Now when I think about it I laugh at the whole episode. But I can't imagine what would have happened if I weren't in coach 1 or if my colleagues did not turn up at the station.

No comments:

Post a Comment