This was on 6th May when I had to get a fitness certificate from the Medical Superintendent of a Govt hospital prescribed by the institute. I left in the morning and reached the place by 10:30 (considering that Govt hospitals don start functioning before that or at least the administration dept)
To my dismay, there was this long line mostly youngsters my age waiting to meet the Medical Superintendent. They were some 10 people in all applying for some govt job in the forest dept. I joined them in the line eagerly awaiting my turn so that I could get back to the Institute before lunch time. We soon realized that the line isn't moving. I went to find out why. The security guy says that the Doc is in the operation theatre. We assumed he would come soon and just waited.
Now some random folks started a conversation with me asking where i was from and why i needed this certificate etc.. I kept telling them "Kannada gothila" meaning i don know Kannada but they just din seem to understand.. They were asking weird stuff like wat is ur opinion on Engineering? Why did u take up Mechanical being a girl? etc.... which I was in no mood to answer. It might have seemed like a good way to while away time while waiting in the line but trust me i have never been so bored before. I finally pretended to sleep by just sitting there n closing my eyes to avoid the conversation. luckily there were chairs and we din have to stand there all the while.
Soon it was lunch time and the Doc still hadn't shown up. We asked when he could be expected to which they said he would come now but mit leave for lunch soon after. aww what the hell, for how long do we have to wait was the kind of expression on all the faces. He finally came at around 2:00 pm and they started letting people in. My turn was just about to come, and I removed my footwear to get in, when he tells me please wait for some time and I came back to where I was.
There was this lady who was letting people in and she seemed to know Tamil. I overheard her say to someone that the guy has 2 meetings one at 3 and another soon after. I requested her to let me in before the meeting started coz u never know how long these kinda meetings can last. She was kind enough to ask the guy several times if she could let us in but he kept saying ask them to wait . Poor thing she couldn't have done more.
And so while waiting I came across 2 other guys with the same envelope as mine the JNCASR envelope. I asked them if they were also new like me at JNC to which they said yes and soon I had some company. One of them was from EMU itself though under a different faculty member and another from a different dept. We spoke for some time and soon realized that it was way past lunch time and we would be hungry. So we told the lady we would be back soon after grabbing a quick bite. it was nice to find good company at last especially after the funny group of people we met in the morning. We jointly made fun of the weirdos we met in the morning and the kind of irritations questions they asked. One of them tells me that I would call them also boring and irritating when I meet other people just like the way I mocked the other group. I said I wouldn't do that coz here I was the one who started the conversation and kept it going. It wasn't by force.
When we came back we discovered that the second meeting had started. It was really irritating now. It was close to 5:00 pm when I told them that i would enter the room and tell that i have a bus at 5:30 and if i miss this bus it would be really hard for me to go back. We had wasted the whole day in this and although it would have seemed like a day off its not the best way to spend an off day.. We were not sure of the procedure whether there would be any check up or is it just paper work. We had assumed by then that we would have to come again the next day.
Finally we were let in and it was ridiculous. The guy asked mundane details like height, weight, blood group, etc.. and filled it in a form. It was just a matter of a signature and stamp.. And for this we waited the whole day, but we were glad we wouldn't have to come again and its finally over..
Friday, May 15, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment